Works on waterways

Works on waterways can include things like bridges, jetties, crossings or culverts. Poorly planned and executed they can cause bed and bank erosion, stop fish passage and change waterflows.

As a landowner or manager, it is your responsibility to get advice and permits to undertake work on a designated waterway.  There is no cost for a works on waterway permit.

The East Gippsland CMA works in conjunction with the West Gippsland CMA in the process of granting permits to undertake works on waterways in accordance with By-Law No. 2014-1 Waterways Protection.


A works on waterways permit is required for a range of works, including:

  • crossings – bridges, fords, culverts
  • deviations – waterway realignments
  • extractions – sand, silt or gravel
  • stabilisation – bank protection, retaining structures
  • vegetation – fallen timber and vegetation removal, revegetation projects
  • works – stormwater outlets, service crossings
  • other – jetty, river mouth opening, boardwalks.

If your proposed work, is not listed here, please contact our Statutory Planning team to check if it requires a permit.


  1. Fill in a works on waterways application form in either hard copy or complete it online, providing as much information as you can. Submit the form and supporting information. The hard copy and online forms are found here works on waterways application form.
  2. One of our staff members may contact you to arrange an inspection of the site as part of the permit assessment.
  3. If the application and proposed works are approved, we will issue a permit for the works.
  4. Works on waterways permits are separate to council planning and building permits. Contact your local council to determine if a council permit is required.

We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of Country throughout East Gippsland and pay our respects to them, their culture and their Elders past and present.